Tuesday 31 March 2009

What the heck is S.E.O?

Search engine optimisation is a mystery to me or more accurately a misery. OK we got a web-site and that seems to do what it is supposed to do. But I dread it every time the phone rings and some slick sales man says “I can make your web-site get better ranking for so much £££££”

I just hear the same old tune from these guys “how can you get business without good placing on Google or Yahoo?” So off I go to our Tec guy Mark who did our web-site and say “should I spend cash for page ranking? They say this! They say that!” Simple fact is we already get good placement on Google (page 5) and Yahoo (page 1) with our chosen keywords. I just could not get my head around all this jargon. Finally he sat me down and explained what SEO really means in an easy to understand way.


Most sites already have good S.E.O. (Search Engine Optimisation) which means that Google, Yahoo or any search engine for that matter index sites, based on content, interest and links ranking them accordingly to what people are actually searching for. Throwing cash at it won’t necessarily get you better rankings and in some cases will even harm your position in those listings.

If you really want a higher placement concentrate your efforts on getting links into your site from other subject related sites or spend your money on an add words or pay-per-click campaign on Google or such alike, which will get you targeted hits and increase your web presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment